The Durban Magistrate's Court, c. 1900. The Court House was officially opened on May 24, 1866. On April 8, 1891 the north wing (towards West Street) was added to the building, providing new offices. Another court room was added to the south wing and opened on November 16, 1897. The building served as a Court House until 1912. Thereafter the Durban Corporation acquired the building. The Court House became home to the Local History Museum in 1965. The building was declared a National Monument in 1975.